- Foods rationed during WWII: Sugar, butter, milk, cheese, eggs, coffee, meat and canned goods.
- The government and businesses urged people to make gardening a family and community effort.
- Soybeans originated in China and Manchuria.
- Tofu is one food product made from soybeans and is a major source of protein in oriental diets.
- When the war started, the USDA exhorted farmers to produce much more of "the miracle bean," (soybeans) as they started calling it.
As made obvious by my oh-so-subtle font amplification, I chose the name "Victory Garden" because many of the foods rationed are ones I can't eat, my family (mom especially) have really been good about trying new foods that are healthy for us all, and soybeans have become an important dietary staple for me.
A couple of exceptions:
- I will never give up coffee
- I don't have the room to plant my own veggies so I'll be going to the Farmer's Market instead